Redwood, Cedar, or Ipe Garden Elements
To keep your natural wood deck looking new:
- Using a stiff bristled broom, scrub the wood with a solution of 1 gal warm water, 1 cup TSP (and one quart bleach (if mold is a problem). Scrub it in well, then let the solution sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse the deck and surrounding areas thoroughly with a hose (rinse off plants too if they've been splashed with cleaning solution).
- Allow to dry completely (at least one day) before re-oiling or applying wood sealer.
- Ipe Wood: Re-oil with Ipe Wood Stain
- Redwood or Cedar: Apply one coat of Thompson's WaterSeal
Redwood, Ipe, and Cedar will weather and gray naturally over time. But if you prefer to keep your these garden elements (fences, screens, arbors, etc.) looking almost like the day they were installed, a coat of Thompson's WaterSeal (with or without stain) may be applied at installation, and on a regular basis (yearly, or every other year) thereafter.